PDF files are downloadable documents that are readable with a special reader available on the internet. PDF stands for portable document format. The most popular PFD creator is Adobe however, there are many different readers and other utilities on the market that can create these types of files and allow you to read these files on your computer.
PDF files are very popular as they can hold one-page documents up to hundreds of pages. The pages will look exactly like the original document such as the font, colors, graphics, text, drawings, photos, business logic, 3D, and all full color graphics.
PDF files allows you to share your document with others around the world no matter what operating system they may have such as Macintosh, Microsoft Windows, UNIX, and other mobile platforms. PDF files can be viewed and printed without any problem thus giving you the ability to share your pictures, documents, graphs, and more with family, co-workers, or business associates around the world.
Certain Adobe PDF software programs such as Adobe Acrobat 8 and Adobe LiveCycle allow the creator to digitally sign or password protect their documents along with other PDF programs.
PDF files when compiled are searchable with such actions as locating certain words, data fields, or even bookmarks.
PDF files are also created to be accessible with individuals with disabilities.
Some utilites that allow you to read PDF files include: Adobe Acrobat Reader – the most popular PDF reader DropPDF 1.0 for Unix – allows you to view PDF files in NeXTSTEP/OpenStep EasyView, EasyView Extreme for Mac OS, Windows, UNIX – This type of reader enables you to highlight, search, add your own notes, and even create an electronic library that is encrypted and password protected.
Some utilities that allow you to edit PDF files include:
- Adobe Acrobat
- Action Plug-in for Mac OS, Windows – This program gives you the ability to assign tasks to links or other remarks
- Batch-Print for Windows – allows you to choose the destination printer and choose the files or pages you wish printed or search through a folder.
- Crackerjack for OS, Windows – with this utility you can control fine scaling, orientation, positioning, screening, and separation. It creates PostScript files, separates PDF files that are made with applications like Excel, Word, and Publisher.
Some utilities that allow you to convert data to and from PDF include:
- Argus Server for Windows, OS/2 – Allows you to batch convert PDF files.
- Freebird 1.0 for Windows – This utility is an exchange plug in that will allow you to convert several pages of PDF files into TIFF pages.
- Gemini for Mac OS, Windows – This utility allows you to convert PDF file into plain text, RTF, or HTML. It can preserve the page layout and remove images at jpeg files.
Some utilities that allow you to extract data from PDF files and forms include:
- Jade for Windows – this utility allows you to extract text from PDF files in RTF.
- Redwing for Windows – this utility allows you to extract tables or text from any PDF file and then send it to a desktop application or database.
Some utilities that allow you to manage your PDF files and file security include:
- FileOpen PDF for Windows – This utility helps manage PDF files by only allowing access to authorized or paying users.
- Excalibur RetrievalWare for Windows, UNIX, OS/2 – A complete set of utilities that allows the building of text based knowledge recovery documents. Free File Upload